Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Fashionpreneur learns from mistakes

I've made many mistakes in my journey to start my own handbag line. First mistake, thinking I can sew my own leather bags (I don't even like to sew!). Second, spending money on things I didn't need, like PR services when I wasn't ready for them or material that was too expensive for my product. But...you learn from making mistakes.

I like to read about entrepreneurs. Its comforting to read that even the most successful entrepreneurs make mistakes. One of my favorite sources is Inc magazine. It's not all about fashion, but its a great resource, has fabulous articles and practical tips. Of course, if you're looking for targeted information specifically for independent fashion designers, I suggest visiting fashionCEO's main site to read interviews with established designers, get practical tips and find suppliers and resources. I also like the interviews on the FashionMista blog. If you're into handbag design, check out handbagdesigner101.

I recently interviewed Rebecca Minkoff of Rebecca Minkoff Handbags for fashionCEO.
What a treat she is! So wonderful and down to earth. My favorite quote of hers is "its just fashion, its not that serious. Have fun with it!". Her high-end line of leather bags are so stylish..I think her theory is paying off.

2 comments:

ebony said...

I absolutely love your blog. I'm an emerging designer struggling to get my feet wet in this industry. I love the fact that you are honest and forthcoming. i've have searched high and low and too have made similar mistakes when it comes to pr and promoting myself and my designs. i also went to your website and immediately became a member. I"m a serious designer looking to network and meet the right people. Continue doing what you do. This is really great.

Susan Osborne said...

Thank you Ebony! I appreciate the feedback. I found it so difficult to find answers to the more practical side of the business. Most articles gloss over the facts of how things get done. I have literally wasted THOUSANDS of dollars on things I didn't need. That is why I felt this type of site was needed. I'm thankful to have members like you who feel the same!
Thank you!