Sunday, June 24, 2007

Keep Your Eye on the Goal

I don't know about you all, but whenever I tell someone that I design handbags, I can see their face light up. People think its cool when you are doing something creative and different. Even my guy friends always ask me how my handbags are doing. I usually smile and say its coming along...which is true. Yes, after 6 years, I'm still in research and development mode, but hey, that's okay. They still want to hear about it. I don't think the majority of the people out there have an entrepreneurial drive. I think when someone does, people are interested in hearing about it.

One thing that I find amusing is that people love to give you ideas. I can't tell you how many people have said to me, "hey, you should make doggie bags", or "you should really be making baby bags". I love it when my Mom says "honey, you should make you some curtains with that sewing machine." Um, no. When I first started my handbag business, I jumped on those ideas (except the curtains). I would add them to my list of to-do's. But then I would get overwhelmed just thinking about all the things I should be designing. It took me awhile to figure this out, but its better to stay focused on your passion, whether its bags or belts or jewelry or whatever. Do what you do best and get it out there...then later on you can branch out. People mean well, but you have to try and filter out all the voices saying "you should be doing this...".

I even sat down and made a baby bag (yes, I made it myself, I know I was supposed to be done with the sewing, but old habits die hard). Really...it is handy to have a sewing machine and some skill at it because when you do want to experiment with a new idea, you can sit down and play around with it. It's way too expensive to have a contractor "play around" with new ideas. Here's my Denney baby bag:


I know, hard to believe I made it since I don't like to sew and can't follow a pattern to save my life. I'm 90% hard work, 10% talent. I still carry this bag everyday. I don't have a baby, but I carry it because I love the outside pockets. The side pockets are great for water bottles. The front pocket is perfect, easy access for my cell phone and keys.

So back to what I was saying. People love to throw out ideas when they know you design handbags and/or clothing. I've had people ask me to sew covers for their camera equipment. I guess when you say you design handbags, that means you can sew anything and everything under the sun. if they only knew! If you have any stories of people suggesting ideas to you, I'd love to hear them!

Stay focused, learn to say no, and stay true to your vision!

No comments: