Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What Makes a Designer A Designer?

I'm pretty irritated over some opinions I've read lately and I just have to air my thoughts on it. I read an article recently by a fashion industry "expert" that seems to feel its not worth her time to help emerging designers because in her opinion they probably aren't prepared and its not worth her reputation to refer them to suppliers. Who is truly prepared when they are first starting out? And how do you learn this crazy business when everyone is so guarded?

It steams me to no end that people in the "industry" stick their nose up at independent designers who are trying to make a go of a dream. Going to a fancy design school gives you a certain type of training, agreed. But it does not give you talent. If you design & produce a quality product that people buy, then honey, you are a designer. I don't care what your training is. I don't care that you never worked for Donna Karan or Vera Wang (who, by the way, never had a lick of formal design training). I don't care if you can't sew or sketch. There are MANY successful designers out there that can't do either. If you design a handbag or a dress or a belt or jewelry that you put in the marketplace and consumers purchase...you are a designer. When I buy a piece of clothing or a handbag, I don't care what kind of training the designer had, or whether they can sew. They clearly produced a product I'm willing to spend my hard earned dollars on.

I founded fashionCEO because I saw a lack of information out there for independent designers trying to find resources to build their brand. My goal with this company is to bring information & inspiration together in one convenient place for designers to help nurture their business. I'm not here to poo poo your idea or products. The marketplace will determine whether you are good or not. And you know what, if you're not good at designing, you won't be in business for long. That's not for me to determine. I'm not worried about my reputation (what reputation? Lets be real.) when I put together a list of suppliers for my designer members. If I'm worried about anything, its the quality of the supplier that I'm referring to fashionCEO members, not the other way around. The supplier is going to make money. You are spending your precious dollars. But to say that you are not talented or worthy enough because you are just starting out...uh huh...ain't happening. You go for it and you do it better than you ever thought you could. If someone isn't willing to help you find what you need...then you know what, screw them. You don't need them. Folks, this is fashion, it ain't brain surgery. We're not saving lives here. I will stick my neck out for someone trying to get going. Plenty of people have done it for me.

I agree you have to be willing to work VERY, VERY hard to make it happen. You have to invest time, money, pride, blood, sweat and tears...but if you work at it, then you have a chance at being successful. Its brutal...I'm not saying its a walk in the park. You have to do your homework. But to say I wouldn't help someone just because I'm not going to somehow benefit from it, I just can't feel good about that. But that's just me. Maybe I'm too soft...but I'm okay with that.

I believe that there is a certain attitude out in the fashion world that any Jane Doe thinks they can design a handbag and call themselve a designer. But who is a true designer? Is it someone who went to Parsons and has formal training? Is it someone who lives in New York and is well connected? Is it a celebrity who has someone design for them, but they can slap their name on the label and make millions? Are you less of a designer if you live in Kansas? Developing your own line with no formal training and selling it through your website? Again, the consumers will determine whether you are talented enough to be a designer. I look at most of the runway shows and I think "who would wear this crap?". Seriously, who would? Most of it is hideous and is ridiculously expensive. Most of these people are respected designers with formal training in schools, big design houses, yet they can't relate to what the majority of America wants. There is a huge intimidation factor. Don't let it stop you. Look at designers like Mary Norton of Moo Roo bags, or Liz Lange or Sara Blakely of Spanx or Jennifer Velarde of 1154 Lill. Chances are they weren't fully prepared when they first approached a contractor to make their product. I'm sure glad someone had faith in them.

Thank goodness for the independent designer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

greetz eveyone

I just wanted to indtroduce myself, my name is pat and I am the owner of a [url=http://groundzerointelligence.com/]phone jammer[/url] company.
I've been a long time reader here, and I think I can learn alot.