Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Does location really matter in fashion?

Last May I walked the Designers and Agents show in NYC. I just wanted to see the space, how the booths were set up and the price points of the exhibitors. I picked up the little booklet that listed all the exhibitors and their contact information. I was surprised (well sort of) to see that about 95% of the exhibitors had either LA or NYC addresses. I started to wonder if it looked "better" to buyers if you had a California or New York address. Does the address matter? I live in Denver, part of the "flyover zone". Most famous designers probably only know Denver because they have to fly through DIA to get to Aspen.

I know alot of the exhibitors are showrooms or reps, so that would make sense that they would be on the coasts, but even the designers that were being represented were based in California or New York. Was that going to make a difference when I wanted a Bergdorf Goodman or Bendel's buyer to notice my line? At the time, I really thought yes. I even contemplated getting a PO Box in LA just so I could have the address on my marketing material. I wanted to fit in with the rest of the cool kids.

Since then I've met some really great designers (especially since launching fashionCEO) that live in the flyovers and I've changed my opinion. With the power of the internet and the increase in online stores out there, I don't really think it matters. The internet has opened so many doors to those of us not living in a fashion hub. Look at the beauty of Etsy and Stylebakery or Buss Buss. You can live anywhere and be successful with your line. Here in Denver we have some incredible designers such as Sara Gabriel, Alisa Benay, Ollie Sang, JP Lizzy and Laura Bella . In fact, that is one of the main reasons I launched fashionCEO. I wanted to bring inside fashion information to those designers not living near the fashion meccas. Talent exists in every state and every city, big or small.

While being successful outside a fashion hub is certainly possible, it will require more traveling to get to the tradeshows, suppliers, or industry events. But that can be part of the fun too. I always need an excuse to go to NYC. But I always love coming home to Colorado (I love my Broncos).

By the way, I applied to be an exhibitor at D&A twice and didn't get in either time. I had coffee with Lauren Chlebowski of Ollie Sang and she told me how hard it is to get into D&A, and not to give up.

Carve your own path and blaze your own trail!

S

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can phrase that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is still a question as you did in the fall delivery of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=wirelessmon professional 2.1 ?
I noticed the utter you procure not used. Or you use the black methods of inspiriting of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg