Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hollywood or Bust?

When you are developing your own fashion line with little money or help, there are so many things to think about. Some days my head would spin thinking about all the things I needed to focus on. I often would get so overwhelmed it stopped me in my tracks. I'm still learning to make lists and prioritize. Something I'm not great at. Looking back at the last few years, I've realized there were so many things I could have done to help promote my Denney handbag line, but at the time, couldn't see the forest for the trees.

My dad has been a director on the show "The Young & the Restless" for over 20 years. I know many people on the show from my years of visiting dad in the summer (my parents divorced when I was very young). I also spent a year in Los Angeles working at CBS with dad. I did body makeup on a couple soap operas and nighttime specials (that experience is worthy a long post of its own). With this type of connection, wouldn't you think I could get some great "in's" in Hollywood for my bag line? I would say YES! Did I leverage my connections to create some valuable celebrity buzz for my bags. NO! Learn from this. I had connections at my fingertips, but never used them. I tried a few things...like meeting with the wardrobe person on Y&R (I've known her since I was a kid). I took her a Denney bag to feature on the show. She indicated they could use it at a pool party scene. I was pretty excited about that...but I never found out if they actually did use it. My dad retired in April of this year and moved back to our home state of Oklahoma. I am now kicking myself for not taking full advantage of what I had available to me. Even one of the actresses, Patti Weaver, who plays Gina (she is awesome by the way) , told me to bring in bags because the actresses on the show hang out in the makeup room and have money to buy! Did I ever do it? No! I didn't quite have the confidence in the product yet. Again, that confidence is key. You need to believe in your product. If I had that confidence then, I would have been able to shoot for the starts (literally!).

Another opportunity that I did take advantage of was participating in the Catwalk for Cancer fashion show in Denver last year. If you have the opportunity to show your line in a local fashion show (especially one for charity), its a great learning experience. I showed Denney Bags with about 4 other designers. Lourdes Rios organized the event. I felt like quite the designer, especially since my most treasured girlfriends came to support and cheer me on! It was kind of humorous because at the end of my show, I walked out on the runway and a little boy gave me a bouquet of flowers. All the models who modeled my bags lined the catwalk while I walked down and accepted my flowers. I felt so special! I look at pictures and kind of chuckle though. Here's a picture of my girlie friends after the show and one of me with all the bags before the show.





Here is a picture of my logo up on the big screen. I have to say, that gave me goosebumps to see my logo up there in front of everyone. It was so cool!



Here's one of the models carrying a Denney Bag down the runway.



The turnout wasn't as great as the organizers were hoping for (as you can see by the empty chairs in the audience), but it was still a great thing to do for a good cause. I think it cost me $200 to participate. Not bad, especially for a charity cause. I did sell a bag to one of the models too!



Get involved and look for opportunities everywhere you can. Obviously I didn't take full advantage of my opportunities, but then maybe I wasn't ready? If you are ready, go for it!! They say lucky people are just people who are prepared when the opportunity comes along.

Have a fashionable day!

S

No comments: